If you decide to walk someplace for your health you may want to reconsider once you listen to recent studies and look at the actions of the City of Sacramento. Sacramento recently embarked on what they have termed "Vision Zero Sacramento". Vision Zero is a traffic safety initiative whose aim is a roadway with no fatalities or serious injuries. Vision Zero rejects the notion that traffic crashes are simply "accidents," but instead preventable incidents that can and must be systematically addressed.
Many personal injury situations are pretty clear with a clear idea of the responsible party. What happens when liability is in dispute or when the situation arises that there is what's called "comparative negligence." This most often happens when the defendant claims you were at least partially to blame for the crash. This can affect the total amount of your claim. The law Office of Guenard & Bozarth will work diligently to eliminate this possibility. What happens when the facts support shared liability?
Imagine you're in a traffic crash where the other driver negligently ran a stop sign and you just happened to be driving at a speed above the posted limit at the time of the crash. The reality is you might share 10 percent of the blame for the accident while the other driver accepts 90 percent of the actual fault. Now imagine your damages add up to $15,000. Understanding this how would a shared fault situation impact your potential compensation? Under California's pure comparative negligence rule, your compensation will be reduced to $13,500 (or the $15,000 total minus the $1,500 that represents your share of fault for the accident.)
What's interesting is while the court system is obligated to follow this rule individual adjustors aren't bound by the same rules outside of the actual court. Adjustors will often assume a combative and unreasonable point of view and offer only a very small token settlement to limit their exposure and your eventual recovery. In fact, an adjustor will often raise the issue of California's comparative negligence rule during settlement talks when they have no basis in the negotiation. Outside of court we are free to negotiate what the impact of the rule should be on your claim. Often times we are able to bypass any comparative negligence claims and that allows our office to enhance your settlement.
We help with serious issues that require serious representation. We are the Law Offices of Guenard & Bozarth. We have over 80 years of experience practicing law on our legal team. Call GB Legal 24/7/365 at 888-809-1075 or visit www.gblegal.com We Can Help!
Hitting the gas when you mean to hit the brake happens to just about every driver at one time or another. It may happen due to distraction or just because you weren't paying complete attention to what you were doing. The reality is this lapse could be enough to result in a serious car accident. Review what we've written about these accidents and ways to prevent them.
There's a hardy strain of winter bicyclist that has emerged in the Midwest, mountains and Northeast. But it's safe to say that our winter months in Sacramento are closer to fall in other parts of the country with our last substantial snowfall happening in 1976.
This question is asked more and more often because the answer is often yes! While this is still not the norm it does happen and the results can be quite compelling.
Anyone familiar with our Law Office knows we handle Personal Injury Litigation exclusively. We work with injured people from injury to settlement and that can mean all the way to trial. We take exceptional care of our clients and as a result they often ask us to handle everything from Estate Planning to Family Law and child custody.
We see more and more evidence that features designed to protect us are actually doing the opposite. Let's take a minute and review some of the more obvious and egregious examples;
We make decisions daily. The majority of the decisions we make are beneficial while some are downright selfish. The Elk Grove Police Department in conjunction with the Elk Grove City Council are presenting a program called "Before The Impact."
A study released in March 2016 by The Mineta Transportation Institute (MTI) concludes that bikers who use bike share programs may be safer than those who choose to ride their own bikes. Data from the study indicates that nonfatal injury rates in the U.S. and Canada are lower for bike share users than for other types of cyclists.
Those who choose to commute by bike are "selfless altruists, risking life and limb for the good of society" according to a recent piece in The Washington Post. Unfortunately for cyclists, the claim is supported by data. Those who commute with bicycles are reaping health benefits, but at potential risk.