Car crashes are for the most part avoidable. Without fully understanding the cause of car accidents it’s sometimes difficult to know what you can do to prevent them. Some causes are more apparent than others like distracted driving and driving while intoxicated while others may be a bit more obscure. While many know it’s illegal to text while driving many still don’t associate that with distracted driving. We hope to clarify why certain rules exist and how compliance may help to prevent crashes.
Here Are The Top 10 Causes of Car Accidents
1. Distracted Driving – Distracted driving quickly became the leading cause of car accidents. Even though it is a recognized issue it’s becoming increasingly worse.
Distracted driving includes texting while driving, operating another handheld device while driving, driving with the music blaring, talking to backseat passengers while driving, eating while driving and more.
2. Speeding – Everyone does it isn’t a good enough reason to put the pedal to the metal. Speed limits are designed to give you enough time to break for obstacles and other vehicles. If you’re doing 50 in a 35, you may not be able to stop for a red light in time, or you may brake too late when a kid runs out into the road chasing after his or her ball.
3. Drunk Driving – Drunk driving used to be the number one cause of accidents, but thanks to cell phones, GPS devices, and drunk driving campaigns, it’s moved down the list. Still, an unacceptable amount of accidents are caused by drunk drivers each year. Do not be the cause of another tragedy. Stay sober and remember buzzed driving is drunk driving. If you decide to drink have a DD or call a rideshare service.
4. Reckless Driving – Aggressive driving, speeding, swerving in and out of traffic, tailgating, and other aggressive behaviors are all considered reckless driving, and they cause a lot of accidents annually.
5. Running Red Lights – This is one of the more obvious causes of car accidents. Red means stop. If your light is red assume the lights directing traffic in other directions are green or yellow. If you run a red light, chances are you’ll hit someone who has the right of way. Being distracted is not an excuse. If you are too distracted to drive, do not get behind the wheel.
6. Driving in the Rain – In Northern California you cannot avoid driving in the rain. You can however drive safely in the rain. Slow down and if visibility becomes too impaired just pull to a safe area until the worst of the storm passes.
7. Tailgating – There is no excuse for driving too close to another vehicle. Ultimately, you should keep a safe distance between you and the vehicle in front of you. That distance can be found in the driver’s handbook from the DMV. Keep a safe distance between you and the car ahead of you at all times.
8. Drowsy Driving – Research indicates driving while drowsy is as dangerous as driving while intoxicated. Being tired may impair your judgment, slow your reaction time, mess with your vision, and even cause you to fall asleep behind the wheel. If you catch yourself drifting off or are having difficulty concentrating, pull off to the side of the road and rest. If you are near home or a hotel, stop and get some sleep before getting back on the road.
9. Drugs – Both illegal and legal drugs have been shown to inhibit your senses and make it difficult to drive safely. Never take narcotics or heavy prescription medications before getting behind the wheel. If your doctor prescribes a medication ask him or her if use of the medication will impair your judgement in any way.
10. Fog – You also cannot avoid driving in the fog. If you’re forced to drive in the fog, use your low beams, drive at or below the speed limit, and constantly check to make sure that you are in your own lane.
We represent people who are injured because of the careless and reckless acts of others. At the end of the day your case can only be settled one time and you need to know all of the facts beforehand. The reason that insurance companies have paid our clients in excess of $130,000,000.00 is that we get the facts and are not intimidated at the prospect of going to trial when insurance companies fail to offer full compensation. We help with serious injuries that require serious representation. We are the Law Offices of Guenard & Bozarth, LLP. Our attorneys have more than 60 years of experience specializing in only representing injured people. Call GB Legal 24/7/365 at 888-809-1075 or visit www.gblegal.com We would be honored to represent you!