The sidewalk along with all of the other construction on Capitol Ave between 16th St and 17th St is something people should be warned about by law. The question we have is why is the construction company potentially putting people at risk while few seem to care? Here are a few of the issues you need to be aware of;
- Advance warning of the sidewalk closure at the preceding corners on 17th St. is missing
- There is no ADA detectable barrier. The project has instead decided to use chain link fencing with yellow caution tape strung through the fence. This clearly saves money while putting pedestrians and others at risk.
- The fence base protrudes into the sidewalk area and presents a significant tripping hazard for blind or low vision persons along with anyone using the area at night.
- ‘Sidewalk closed’ sign at the point of closure missing or has never been installed or maintained.
- Both sides of this portion of Capitol Ave have closed sidewalks and prevents a choice between sides of street.
- There is a small sign on the fences at 16th St. which indicate very long detours to reach the entrances of both 1616 Capitol Ave (south side) and 1615 Capitol Ave (north side). These signs would be of no use for someone with impaired vision, or anyone on a dark day or early in the morning or late afternoon (at this time of year).
- Bike lanes on both sides of Capitol are partially obstructed by fencing. There doesn’t appear to be any signage for bicyclists or drivers indicating this. These obstructions provide bicyclists no choice but to derivate course and merge away from the fencing into the general-purpose lane. The current configuration provides little to no advance warning.
This is a California Department of General Services (DGS) project, and signing indicates that the construction contractor is Z Squared. We understand that these dangerous violations of ADA law have been reported to the City of Sacramento 311 (case 221130-1423348) and DGS Facilities Management Division. This current construction project appears to be part of an ongoing construction project that has been stalled for about a year. DGS removed the rocks from a sidewalk adjacent area meant to protect walkers from walking into the awkward building buttresses, then fenced these areas. This took place about a year ago and nothing has been done since.
We represent people who are injured because of the careless and reckless acts of others. At the end of the day your case can only be settled one time and you need to know all of the facts beforehand. The reason that insurance companies have paid our clients in excess of $130,000,000.00 is that we get the facts and are not intimidated at the prospect of going to trial when insurance companies fail to offer full compensation. A Sacramento personal injury lawyer can help with serious injuries that require serious representation. We are the Law Offices of Guenard & Bozarth, LLP. Our attorneys have more than 60 years of experience specializing in only representing injured people. Call GB Legal 24/7/365 at 888-809-1075 or contact Guenard & Bozarth online. We would be honored to represent you!