August Is Peak Travel Month… These Are The 5 Deadliest Highways In California
California is the most populous state in America. In 2020 approximately 39.5 million people called the Golden State home. With this many people in the state it’s safe to assume that fatal auto accidents will be an unfortunate reality. In 2019 California recorded over 3,300 fatal accidents which accounted for over 3,600 fatalities and this included 844 people driving under the influence. These statistics are according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
California has over 115 Federal Highways and State Routes within our border. Here are the five highways/state routes which saw the most fatal accidents in California in 2019.
1. Interstate 5 extends from the Canadian border to the Mexican border. Interstate 5 in California is almost 800 miles long and runs from San Ysidro to the Oregon border. Interstate 5 runs through or past numerous cities in California including San Diego, Los Angeles, Bakersfield, Tracy, Stockton, Sacramento and Redding. I-5 was the site of 119 fatal accidents in 2019 which accounted for 135 fatalities and 28 drunk drivers were involved in the fatal crashes.
2. US 101 runs 1,500+ miles from Los Angeles, CA to Tumwater, Washington. In California US 101 runs over 800 miles from Los Angeles to the Oregon border. US 101 runs through or just past the California cities of Los Angeles, Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, Salinas, San Jose, San Francisco, Santa Rosa and Eureka. In 2019 US 101 saw 95 fatal accidents causing 108 fatalities and involving 27 drunk drivers.
3. State Route 99 runs over 400 miles from the I-5 near Wheeler Ridge to nearly Red Bluff. State Route 99 runs through or past the California cities of Bakersfield, Visalia, Fresno, Merced, Modesto, Stockton, Sacramento and Chico. In 2019 SR 99 saw 72 fatal accidents causing 89 fatalities which accounted for 89 fatalities.
Highway 99 has the dubious distinction as the deadliest roadway in America.
4. Interstate 15 runs over 1,400 miles from San Diego County to the Canadian border. It runs just over 285 miles in California from San Diego County to the Nevada border near Primm, NV. Interstate 15 in California runs through or past San Diego, Temecula, the San Bernardino Valley, Victorville and Barstow. In 2019 Interstate 5 in California saw 69 fatal accidents which led to 76 fatalities and involved 20 drunk drivers.
5. Interstate 10 runs 2,460 miles from the California coast to the coast of Florida. While Interstate 10 in California is only a little more than 240 miles long, in 2019 it still recorded 54 fatal accidents involving 13 drunk drivers and it accounted for 57 fatalities.
If you are going to be driving during the month of August on these or other roadways, slow down, don’t drive distracted and be aware of your surroundings. Hopefully this year we can make a difference and decrease the number of fatalities on these roads.
We represent people who are injured because of the careless and reckless acts of others. At the end of the day your case can only be settled one time and you need to know all of the facts beforehand. The reason that insurance companies have paid our clients in excess of $130,000,000.00 is that we get the facts and are not intimidated at the prospect of going to trial when insurance companies fail to offer full compensation. We help with serious injuries that require serious representation. We are the Law Offices of Guenard & Bozarth, LLP. Our attorneys have more than 60 years of experience specializing in only representing injured people. Call GB Legal 24/7/365 at 888-809-1075 or visit www.gblegal.com We would be honored to represent you!